Sunday, March 23, 2008

Here's Hoping for the Best

Traveling with the MTA on the weekends is really a "crap shoot" in NYC. Myself not a religious person, I must simply "roll the dice" and hope that the subway lines I need to reach my destination are running. You also hope that the stations are even open. The printed posters underground are probably the most confusing public information posters I've ever seen. I'm not implying that I'm a genius but consider that I have to typically read the signs 3-4 times and STILL proceed to look for the train. Just this weekend I stepped on an F train and (barely) after the third stop heard the conductor shout, "this is the C train making all local stops." In this instance, no signs. I think that someone was just on a joy ride. Or how about earlier in the week when M.B. and I were standing on the platform waiting for the 1 train and it literally whizzed by... not even stopping. We looked at one another and said, "Of course. That makes sense. Why would the train STOP at the station?" Anyway, aside from the weekly rudeness one must endure to get to the office, the weekends are beyond rude. Transforming a would-be glorious trip up-town into a game of "guess-the-train" and "Geez I hope the train stops to pick me up."

No comments: